Monday, January 31

What this is really all about

One of the real reasons I decided to start a blog is because I was looking for a way to help provide myself for with some accountability for getting healthy. So why no mention yet? Well, I guess I'm still sorting out how to use this form of communication and why I'm doing it this way. And I'm still trying to kick my butt.

So here it is. I need to lose weight. I need to take control of what I eat, when I eat it, how much of it I eat and how I work it off. I need to stop pretending it is out of my control and 'not my fault'. I need to do this for myself, not for anyone else. I need to do this because of how I feel, not because of how I look. I need to do this because 34 is fast approaching and I don't want 35 to hit and have nothing be different. I need to do this so I'll be healthy, not so I'll be thin.

How to do it? I have NO idea. I have been encouraged by the stories of others out there who have done what I am attempting to do, but it still seems SO daunting. I know I need help - but I'm not sure where to turn first. A large part of me stubbornly wants to prove I can do it on my own. That's ridiculous of course, since if I could do it on my own, I would be happily wearing a size 8.

So here's my plan - I'm giving myself 3 months to break some bad habits and form some new ones. I'll consider any weight loss during this time a bonus, a perk, a thrill. Then, once I've got my act together, I'll seek out those professionals that will teach me how to do it right - Weight Watchers, a personal trainer, advice from my doctor and nutritionists.

And why don't I just start with the professionals? Simply because I feel like I would be setting myself up to fail. When I think of all of the habits I need to change, it is overwhelming to do it all at once. To go from my current lifestyle to one filled with healthy eating based on informed choices and regular, supervised exercise. It makes me feel stressed and completely NOT up to the task. Brain overload. So ... baby steps.

For February - habits I plan to break:
  • Fast food - NO MORE! - pack a lunch dumbass.
  • Not eating until noon - IT'S CALLED BREAKFAST - eat it!
  • Snacking after dinner simply because it's there - so don't have it there.
  • The devil's own Coca-Cola - go Diet or H2O
  • Walking the dog at her snail pace - if we're walking anyway, I might as well work up a sweat.
Habits I need to start:
  • Drinking that H2O
  • Exercise beyond walking the dog - crack open those videos, break out the exercise machine
  • More veggies! More fruit! More veggies! More fruit! Say it with me now ...
So there - I said it. Now I just have to DO it.

3 Comments:

At 9:52 a.m., February 01, 2005, Blogger akeeyu said...

Just wanted to lend some encouragement for your noble goals, and to offer up the idea that cured my father of pre- and post-dinner snacking: Keep some very strong mint gum in the kitchen, and chew it before and after dinner. Any snackin' tidbit you try to pop in your mouth will blend very unfavorably with the mint flavor.

 
At 10:37 p.m., February 05, 2005, Blogger Jax said...

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice. I'm going to need all that I can get!

 
At 4:04 p.m., November 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just ran across your post while conducting some research on various "grapefuit diet" sites. Even though it wasn't really what I was searching for, I think the people who visit your site might still be interested in reading our reviews of various sites including "grapefuit diet". I started creating these review sites to help people determine what's good and what's bad on the net. As you know, the more information people have before spending their hard earned money, the better. Your readers can even add their opinions for others to read. BTW, I enjoyed reading your posts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home